Thursday, September 23, 2010

grandmothers' for GS e-mails #1

Dear Friends;

When I read Rabbi Friedberg's article in the CJN this past week calling on us all no longe to be silent about the barbaric treatment of Gilad Schalit I knew I had to do something.

Gilad Schalit has been held in "hell" by the Hamas in Gaza for more that four years. His torment began when Hamas terrorists abducted him from an Israeli army post, having previously killed his two comrades there. Hamas has kept Gilad Schalit completely isolated from the world, no letters, no family contact, not even permitting the Red Cross to visit him, although the organization claims it has attempted to do so on more than one occasion. This kind of deprivation is contrary to international law and a denial in the extreme of human rights.

What can we do about this? I believe we must make ourselves heard with the object of influencing major political leaders, especially Barack Obama, in the parts of the world where human rights are respected, to speak up, to pressure Hamas , to bring pressure on the other Palestinian leadership (Abas), and to make the case of Gilad Schalit a human rights issue.

How? Since I began to think of Gilad as a boy who could be my grandson--he was abducted when he was just 19 years of age--I suggest we form a body of concerned woman like me who are grandmothers, who feel as I do that we have a duty to defend and free Gilad Schalit. Hence, lets call ourselves "Grandmothers for Gilad Schalit".

I think the notion of active grandmothers should have appeal for publicity, and of course we will need to use the technology of the internet effectively. The first step is to hear from you, your reaction to this proposal. Then if there's a positive response we would have to meet to plan and to organize ourselves.

I look forward to hearing from you one way or another. You are each one of 24 grandmothers on my e-mail list.

my best to you all,

Sally Zerker

No comments:

Post a Comment